Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Happy Heroes Day!

Yesterday (Tuesday) was Heroes Day. I think it's akin to Memorial Day, though it remembers those who have died for an ideology, rather than just the military (or so I've been told). At breakfast, I was greeted by a student who was dressed in a superhero costume. Oh, to have had my camera!

But for me, the public holiday was Hebrew Vocabulary Day. I'm enjoying the fact that when I see a word in Hebrew (like in a reference book) I can sound it out, and confirm what I've done with the English phonetic, but flat out learning words is a challenge. So I made making flash cards. I do well with the consonants, but have a hard time telling which vowel point to use - there are several characters for each vowel. And then there's the grammar... it's an amazing language.

Trivia for the day: A surprising number of hymns can be sung to a calypso rhythm.

Nice day!

2 comments:

  1. I am giggling over the superhero costume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hysterical. He reminded me of something from American pop culture; if I remember, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Followers