I'd been told that the electricity is prone to go out here. For the first three weeks, it was perfect. Then it started flaking around dinner (which is interesting in dining hall with about 3,000 people). But it always comes back on right away.
This morning, it went out when I was in the shower. And did NOT immediately return. Fortunately, Dorcas was up, and I was able to ask to borrow her torch (she was using the flashlight in her phone), and she walked me back to my room. The laptop was on, which gave light. Even better, power returned about a minute after I returned.
Boy, that was exciting. I promise that I'm awake now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jessica, have you come across any Peace Corp, USAID, or other types of American volunteers. I'm curious as to how the native population feels about the usefulness of those efforts.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Charles
Hi Charles!
ReplyDeleteSorry for the delayed response; it took me longer than anticipated to get to talk to my intended. I've not seen any volunteers on campus, but when I was in Western Uganda in January, I met a Peace Corps worker who was staying in part of the Bishop's guest house, and was working water sanitation efforts with the Congolese (I think) refugees.
I asked Henry, a student in my cohort what he thought of the volunteers, and he had a two-part answer. The first is that the need is clearly there, and they appreciate the help. The second is that since many of these volunteers come from liberal societies, they are viewed with some weariness that they may be bringing their liberal ideas and try to impose them.
Is that helpful?
Jessica
Very interesting about the Peace Corps...liberal ideas. Most the former Peace Corps volunteers do lean in that direction, now that I think about it. Trying to impose their views. That really makes me go "hmmmm...."
ReplyDeleteHeidi
And for a substantive comment: you eat with 3,000 people? Every meal? My introvert is catatonic...
ReplyDeleteWell, I go to breakfast early enough that there are about 10 of us. It's really lunch and dinner, though weekend dinner's are lighter. Yeah, it's overwhelming.
ReplyDeleteToday someone told me that they didn't see me in lunch. I laughed - the DH was PACKED. Of course he didn't see me! But one of his friends saw me looking for a seat, so I got off the hook.