Monday, June 15, 2015

When life feels like a rewrite of Job

In class last week we were discussing the book of Job, which seems appropriate, given all that’s going on.  In the last three weeks, we’ve lost a Ugandan bishop to cancer, as well as two other senior church leaders.  Two students have lost their sisters, and one of those has just lost another family member.  Several students are recovering from illnesses, one of whom had minor surgery, and I’m still fighting my own crud.  I received news last week of three deaths in the US, one of whom was a young man I taught when he was in my middle school Sunday School class.  I read on Facebook that another SAMS missionary is also in a season in which it seems like there is a lot of death.


It has been a tough time, but reading Job’s epilogue is a reminder of God’s nearness to us.  We see Job's wisdom in Job 42:1-6 when he realizes that he can never comprehend God’s ways.  In class, we discussed how we feel when we can't understand God's ways and to handle our feelings with and about God when trials come.  

It is hard to rest in God's goodness and to say with Job, "I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted" (42:2) when messenger after messenger comes to announce tragedy.  However, God notes that Job has spoken the truth about Him (42:7); we can trust God's purposes.  I pray for the wisdom do be able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Followers