Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Other Duties as Assigned: Football Patron

I think this one is all my fault.

In January, I asked the football [soccer] team to be serious about practicing so that we could beat the Catholic seminarians in the annual football match.  I'm all for ecumenism, but all's fair in love and football.

I think some of the students filed this notice away, and a couple months later, they asked me to accompany them on a trip to Namugongo for a friendly sports day.  Namugongo is the site of the Anglican martyr's shrine, as well as an Anglican seminary that trains student at the certificate and diploma [associate's degree] level.  Some of the Namugongo graduates come to us to "upgrade" their papers and get a degree.

That day, though I really didn't want to go on a field trip, since the students had gone to the trouble of organizing themselves and booking a coaster [small bus], so I went.   Namugongo won the volleyball match, and we won the football match, so essentially, it was a draw.  However, the students loved having a member of the faculty with them, and all told, it was a lot of fun.

A few weeks ago, one of the captains of the theology football team asked me to be their patron, because I have "ever been with them."  Keep in mind that one only has to have one experience to "ever be" somewhere, and I think the trip to Namugongo cemented that.  Being a patron entails providing a box of water and some glucose at the end of the match for the team.  While the team likes me to be there, I think it's the water and glucose that they're really looking for.

Theology footballers in day-glow green.

I've learned that there is a position in the Guild [student government] that oversees sports and recreation.  I know this because the first match I attended, the other team didn't show.  The Guild Minister in charge of sports was late, and we had a talk about responsible leadership.  My students were on time.  :)  The second week, the other team came and beat us.  This week, the other came and also beat us.  Perhaps it's time for another pep talk.

What intrigued me is the number of students who were there to watch the matches.  I suppose that if you live on or near campus, and you can't go home on the weekend, one of the things to do is to watch the intramural football games.  Some of the spectators were hecklers, and I could have done without them, but we had a respectable turn-out from theology.  Now to win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Followers