Last week, my mathematically-inclined friend Paulson was giving a presentation (the topic escapes me, though it was rather good), and drew a graph on the blackboard to illustrate how something changed over time.
He was talking about the calf, and how we should notice what the calf does. Calf? I thought he said 'calf,' which didn't make sense. 'Graph' didn't make sense either, as that has the x- and y-axis. So I asked Henry what he said. Several times. Each time I heard him say 'calf.'
About two hours later, I realized that Paulson was talking about the 'curve.' Which in the African, British-inspired accent, to these Anglo ears, came out 'calf.' Please see background story above. When I get back to the US, ask me to tell you how he says it, but we had a good laugh as a class as I told them what Paulson said v. what I heard. And here I thought I could translate pretty well.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.