Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!


When I arrived back in Uganda, as I was puttering around the house on 15 November, I thought I heard gobbling sounds.  Turkeys are not unknown here, but generally aren't on campus.  It reminded me of Granddaddy Hughes, and how he made his own turkey calls for hunting (the brown bear rug is another story entirely).

So, while I heard this turkey, I saw no evidence of him.  I sent at text to Mary Jane, the SAMS missionary who lives directly behind me up the hill to ask if she heard it too.

Of course she heard it.  It was in her yard, for the Thanksgiving dinner that they are hosting tonight for expats.  As it turns out, he loved to eat desiccated coconut.



I was a bit sad that there was no gobbling today, but it was time for the bird to serve his purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Followers